A small patch that looks like a plaster. Stuck on to the skin, it releases oestrogen and progesterone into the blood through the skin. You wear a patch for a week at a time with a week off after 3 weeks (you are protected against pregnancy during this week as well).
- Easy to use – you just have to remember to change it once a week.
- May protect against cancer of the womb and ovaries.
- Does not protect against STIs.
- The glue is very strong but they can fall off in rare circumstances.
- Some people have an allergic reaction to the glue.
- There may be an increased risk of cervical cancer, breast cancer and blood clots (thrombosis).